STEM OPT Master's Program
Career Direct is a premier Master’s degree and STEM OPT professional development program designed to accelerate your career and give you a competitive advantage in the global job market.
This degree program is exclusively for international students pursuing a Master of Information Systems (MIS) in the School of Business or Master of Computer Science (MCS) in the School of Engineering at Cleveland State University.
Engaged Learning, Engaged Students
Designed for high-achieving international students, our exclusive Career Direct program provides an action-oriented professional experience for MIS and MCS graduate students seeking Operational Practical Training.
How the Career Direct Program Works
- Complete two semesters of Career Development & Professional Training (CDPT), which includes courses on resume writing, skill self-assessment, interviewing skills, OPT process and more.
- Gain priority access to STEM OPT student internship and employment opportunities with top organizations in Cleveland and beyond. Cleveland State graduates have worked on OPT at companies like Amazon, JP Morgan Chase, Tesla, Wayfair and Moody’s Analytics.
- Receive expert career guidance and get assistance applying for OPT authorization, with opportunity for two-year STEM OPT extension.
Sample OPT Curriculum
CDPT courses help you develop professional skills, design a strategic career development plan and achieve your career goals. Topics include:
- Personal branding
- Résumé and cover letters
Did you know?
|Program||GPA||TOEFL||IELTS||Qualifying Undergraduate Degree|
|Master of Computer Science (MCS)||3.0||78 (no part below 17)||6.0 (no part below 5.0)||Four-year undergraduate degree, or equivalent, in computer science or computer engineering or equivalent from an accredited university.|
|Master of Information Systems (MIS)||2.75||78 (no part below 17)||6.0 (no part below 5.0)||Four-year undergraduate degree, or equivalent, in any discipline.|
Note: The Career Direct program will be offered starting in Fall 2021 for MIS and MCS degrees only. Career placement support is available only to OPT-eligible students who successfully complete the program. OPT employment is not guaranteed. Curriculum is subject to change.
Get a Remote Internship While You Study Virtually
Get a head start on your future career with top employers—and work remotely from anywhere in the world with Career Premium. This semester-long program, allows you to take additional career courses, attend exclusive training workshops, and apply for eight-week virtual internship opportunities. Your virtual internship program helps you gain valuable work experience and prepares you to participate in Career Direct when you are able to arrive on campus. With Career Premium, you will:
- Engage in valuable training, coaching, and mentorship
- Lead portfolio-building projects
- Receive networking and application assistance to prepare you for Career Direct
Enroll in Career Premium and take the next step toward your dream career.